Woman’s death in Kochi: Kin allege medical negligence 

Kin had written to the chief minister, health minister and the Human Rights Commission regarding the incident, alleging negligence on the part of the hospital authorities.

Published: 06th June 2022 03:11 AM  |   Last Updated: 06th June 2022 03:11 AM   |  A+A-

medicine, medical field, doctors

Representational Image. (Photo | PTI)

By Express News Service

KOCHI:  Aluva resident Suchitra S is in a battle seeking justice for her mother, Susheela Devi, 65, who died on April 3 at the Kalamassery medical college hospital (MCH). The family has alleged medical negligence on the part of the two hospitals, a private hospital in Chalakudy being the other, where she was treated. Knocking the doors of all government authorities, and shuttling between the Ernakulam and Thrissur district administrations, the 42-year-old Suchitra has decided to continue the fight till her mother gets justice.

Susheela, who suffered from several discomforts including an inability to open her eyes, was first rushed to the Chalakudy hospital where she was under treatment for psychiatric issues for over six years. Though she was admitted to the private hospital for eight days, her health condition deteriorated, said Suchitra, who is a lawyer.

“My mother was not eating and was unable to open her eyes. She was complaining of other discomforts as well. We rushed her to the hospital but had to wait 30 to 45 minutes before a doctor attended to her. The doctor who had treated my mother at the hospital had diagnosed her with OCD issues, and she was undergoing treatment for that. Later it was identified that she was suffering from catatonia, a neuropsychiatric disorder,” she said.

Susheela was then shifted to the MCH on March 31. Three days later, she passed away. “While under treatment at the Chalakudy hospital, nursing students had taken care of her in the ICU. The tube for food intake was inserted in the lungs rather than the food pipe.

The hospital authorities have admitted that they inserted the tube in the lungs. They had also fed her through the tube but identified it only later. After that, my mother was never the same again. She was shifted to the medical college hospital, where they said her right lung was damaged. She was diagnosed with pneumonia in the end,” said Suchitra, who now lives with her 79-year-old father. 

Susheela’s final rights were conducted at her native place in Kollam. Since then, Suchitra has been knocking on all doors seeking justice. She had written to the chief minister, health minister and the Human Rights Commission regarding the incident, alleging negligence on the part of the hospital authorities. She said she met Health Minister Veena George when she was in Kochi to campaign for the Thrikkakara byelection.

The police said no case has been registered yet.

India Matters


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp