Bombay HC directs YouTube to delete secretly shot video of courtroom

A division bench of justices A S Oka and Anuja Prabhudessai sought their response as to why action under contempt of court should not be initiated against them.

Published: 17th February 2017 06:38 PM  |   Last Updated: 17th February 2017 06:38 PM   |  A+A-

File Photo of Bombay High Court. | PTI

By PTI

MUMBAI: The Bombay High Court today directed YouTube to forthwith delete a secretly-shot video of the proceedings in a high court judge's courtroom and issued notices to the video-sharing website and search engine Google.

A division bench of justices A S Oka and Anuja Prabhudessai sought their response as to why action under contempt of court should not be initiated against them.

It was hearing a petition filed by the Bombay Bar Association seeking contempt action against those who recorded and uploaded the video on YouTube levelling allegations of corruption against Justice S J Kathawala of the high court.

"The 38-minute video uploaded last week by one 'Right Mirror' copies the format of a news channel and shows a person acting as anchor and taking interviews of several persons including a lawyer Nilesh Ojha making scandalous remarks against the judges of this high court. The video also includes clips of the court proceedings shot secretly by one Gopal Shetye," petitioner's counsel Rafiq Dada said today.

Dada informed the court that as mandated by law, Advocate General Rohit Deo has given consent to initiate contempt action against 10 people but has refused to give consent to initiate action against YouTube. Dada sought the court to take suo moto cognisance of the issue.

The court after hearing the arguments said the video will have to be removed first.

"Considering the scandalous and contemptuous nature of the video we are inclined to order the respondents to forthwith remove the offending videos," the court said.

"We are issuing show cause notice to respondents 11 to 14 (YouTube and Google) and seek their response as to why proceedings under contempt of court should not be initiated against them. The respondents shall file their replies by March 24," Justice Oka ordered.

The court further issued notice of contempt against one Rishi Pandit, who is seen anchoring the show in the video, Gopal Shetye, who shot the court proceedings, and a few others who were seen giving interviews in the video.

The bench also sought to know from the Union government what steps it proposes to take on the issue. "Under the IT Act, the union government is not powerless. The Union government shall ensure that our order is implemented. We would like to hear the government's stance too since this is not the first time such things are happening," the court said.

Ever since the video surfaced, the high court issued a ban on carrying mobile phones or any other electronic devices inside courtrooms. 

Stay up to date on all the latest Mumbai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp