STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Protest keeps officials away

Nearly 250 residents prevented Costford officials from entering the controversial five-acre quarry in Vellar.

Published: 24th April 2012 07:11 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th May 2012 10:30 PM   |  A+A-

24keeps01

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Costford officials on Monday kept away from the controversial quarry in Vellar where the Corporation and the State Government planned to dump garbage after the local people assembled in large numbers to prevent their entry. Nearly 250 residents, including large numbers of women and children, gathered under the banner of the Kovalam Samudra Vattappara Samrakshana Samithy to prevent officials deputed by the Corporation from entering the five-acre government quarry. (Costford had been asked to clear pits in the quarry by pumping out water and filling porous areas to prevent water from entering).

The local people kept vigil till afternoon, and dispersed after having lunch together. However, they plan to take their case straight to the capital city, which they perceive as the source of the potential trouble.

On Tuesday, action council members led by local councillor Nedumom V Mohanan will meet Urban Affairs Minister Manjalamkuzhi Ali and Mayor K Chandrika to register their protest in person and request that the authorities drop the idea of transforming scenic Vellar region into a trash dump.

‘’We will try to press home three points; one, that the quarry in question is the source of potable water for the locality. Destroying this water source will leave the locality in big trouble. Two, this area is part of the tourism zone. Tourism will die out if it is turned into a trash dump, and three, dumping garbage into the quarry means the region would face all the problems associated with such places,’’ Nedumom V Mohanan said.

According to him, the quarry owned by the Government was five acres in area. Its value lies in the fact that it has a natural spring and is, therefore, a water source.

In the meantime, the Left-ruled Corporation is strategically remaining indecisive on the issue. Deputy Mayor G Happykumar said it was the Government’s duty to take a decision.

‘’We did not send any officials on Monday because there could have been trouble with the local people ganged up against garbage-dumping. But we will not say we have dropped the idea of using Vellar, because then the State Government will say we did it deliberately. The Government should take a decision,’’ Happykumar said.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp