THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The Police Department has taken steps to ensure that the massive ‘Red volunteer march and procession’ to be taken out on Friday as part of the CPM State conference culminates peacefully.
City Police Commissioner T J Jose said that an additional 300 policemen would be deployed exclusively for maintaining traffic in the city. The policemen would be drawn from rural stations and police camps.
Sensing that the massive rally and march would create traffic blocks in the city, the police are leaving no stone unturned in ensuring normality.
”The organisers have told me that more than two lakh people would rally behind the march led by ‘Red volunteers.’ That means a big challenge is awaiting the law enforcers. Which is why we have made arrangements a couple of days prior to the event,” the Commissioner said.
Asked whether the police would escort the rally to prevent any untoward incident from happening, he replied that, “they are a cadre party and will look after their own issues. We are actually concentrating on streamlining the vehicular movement.”
Meanwhile, 200 volunteers will be fielded by the organisers to assist the police in controlling the traffic.
As usual, the Police Department has issued traffic diversion instructions that would be effective from Friday noon.
* The traffic deviation will start from 1 pm. KSRTC buses coming via MC Road to Thampanoor should stick to Mannanthala- Mukkola - Kudappanakkunnu - Peroorkada - Pippinmoodu - Sasthamangalam - Edapazhanji - Vazhuthacaud - Thycadu - Flyover.
* Buses heading towards the city via NH-47 should move along Kazhakkoottam - Chackai- Enchakal -East Fort.
* Buses from Nedumangad side heading towards East Fort should move along Peroorkada - Pippinmoodu - Sasthamangalam - Kochar Road - Edapazhanji - Vazhuthacadu - Thampanoor.
* Buses coming to the city from Neyyattinkara should move along Attakulangara - East Fort - Overbridge.
* Buses heading towards MC Road should travel by Aristo Junction - Modal School Junction- Vazhuthacaud - Vellayambalam - Peroorkada - Kudappanakkunnu - Mukkola.
* Buses moving to NH-47 should proceed either by East Fort- Enchakal- Chackai Bypass-Technopark- Kazhakkoottam or Enchakal - Vallakkadavu - Valiyathura - Shangumugham - All Saints’ - Madhavapuram - Technopark - Kazhakkoottam.
* Vehicles moving from the city towards Thiruvallom should travel by Flyover - Killippalam - Attakulangara - Manacaud - Ambalathara and vehicles heading towards Pappanamcode should proceed along Flyover -Killippalam -Karamana.
* Vehicles from the city which are heading towards Peroorkada should move along Attakulangara - Killippalam - Mettukkada - Vazhuthacaud - Sasthamangalam - Pippinmoodu.
* Those proceeding towards Pettah should move along Vettimuricha Kotta - Vazhapally - Mithranandapuram - SP Fort Hospital - Kaithamukku - Uppidampooodu - Vanchiyoor.