STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Father-to-be Clooney will stop going to war zones

Clooney decided to do so after his wife got pregnant with twins.

Published: 23rd February 2017 07:07 PM  |   Last Updated: 23rd February 2017 07:07 PM   |  A+A-

George and Amal Clooney (File Photo | AP)

By AFP

PARIS: Hollywood star George Clooney said Thursday that he will be stopping his visits to the world's troublespots now that his wife is pregnant with twins.

The actor -- who campaigns against war and famine in Africa -- told the French magazine Paris Match that he would "no longer go" to conflict-torn South Sudan nor the Congo.

He said he and his Lebanese-born lawyer wife Amal Clooney -- who has been involved in a string of high-profile human rights cases -- had "decided to be a lot more responsible and avoid danger".

He said she would no longer be working in Iraq "or places where she is not welcome", he was quoted as saying by the magazine, which translated his comments from English.

Asked about the immense responsibility of bringing a child into the world, the actor -- who will be 56 when he becomes a father -- said "how could you not be anxious?"

He had earlier told French television the couple were "really happy and really excited. It's going to be an adventure. We've sort of embraced it all with arms wide open."

The Clooneys announced this week that they were expecting twins this summer and the actor said Thursday that they didn't want to know their sex.

Clooney joked that the press had been saying for three years that Amal was pregnant "but this time it is true".

He also waded into the row over Roman Polanski being forced to drop out of Friday's "French Oscars", the Cesars, saying it was alarming that the controversial director was still being pursued over a 40-year-old statutory rape case.

Clooney, who will be awarded an honorary Cesar at the ceremony in Paris, said it was also the time that 83-year-old Polanski "put an end" to the saga.

Earlier this month Polanski's lawyers began a legal bid for him to be allowed to return to the United States.

The maker of "Chinatown" and "Rosemary's Baby" fled the country in 1978 after fearing that a judge was about to go back on a plea bargain deal that saw him serve 42 days in jail.

His victim Samantha Geimer, who was 13 when the rape took place at the Hollywood home of actor Jack Nicholson, has previously appealed to US authorities for the case to be dropped saying she wanted to move on with her life.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp