A complaint has been filed in a local court seeking action against actor Shah Rukh Khan, his wife Gauri and others under the Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act in connection with a child born through surrogacy to the couple.
The complaint, filed by lawyer Varsha Deshpande on Thursday, alleged that the child’s gender had been determined before birth, thereby violating the sections of the Act.
The 47-year-old actor’s third child was born to a surrogate mother recently at a private hospital, the complaint said and claimed that gender testing was banned under the Act.
The lawyer said she had filed a complaint with the Health Department of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) following media reports about a child being born to the couple through surrogacy amidst allegations that gender test had been conducted. Thereafter, civic officials visited the actor’s house on June 17 to ascertain the facts. However, the team was sent away and the actor had rubbished allegations that the provisions of the Act had been violated.
The complainant alleged that the civic officials had failed to take action against the couple and hence she moved the magistrate’s court with a fresh complaint. Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Uday Padwad has fixed the matter for hearing on September 12.
Meanwhile, the court has issued notices to the couple, civic health officials and other respondents.
Reacting to the case filed over the sex determination test, Shah Rukh said, “We are trying to cover this sad news with happy moments. We are happy that our son is born... we hope he will be fine. I hope I am not called again and again personally... it is sad.”
“I feel sex determination test is redundant. I don’t know how we are going to prove it. May be then we will have to increase our battery of lawyers,” Shah Rukh said.
“I am happy that I am blessed by such a beautiful child (AbRam). We pray and hope about his good health,” Shah Rukh said.