

GUWAHATI: Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar on Saturday said that five masked persons had been identified as being involved in the August 19 violent incidents, particularly in the attacks on Assam-registered vehicles, during the Khasi Students’ Union’s (KSU) “black flag bike rally” in Shillong.
Addressing the media after a high-level meeting between Meghalaya and Assam governments in Guwahati, Dhar said 15 FIRs had been registered so far in connection with the violence.
The Meghalaya government has constituted a Special Investigation Team to identify all the miscreants involved, particularly those responsible for attacks on Assam-registered vehicles, and to ensure their prosecution as per law.
Earlier, Meghalaya Police arrested KSU president Raymond Kharjana, vice president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar in connection with the violence. They are now in judicial custody.
Dhar said the Meghalaya government would assess the damage caused to vehicles for compensation as per the law. He further said that more than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles had been safely escorted out of Meghalaya into Assam since the violence.
“Any passenger or vehicle yet to be transferred to Assam will be safely escorted and transferred within the next 48 hours. A dedicated exercise will be undertaken to ensure that every tourist or vehicle wishing to return to Assam is facilitated and safely escorted,” Dhar said.
During the meeting, it was agreed to establish a dedicated coordination mechanism between the IG, Special Branch, Assam, and the IG, Law & Order, Meghalaya, along with dedicated helplines. An online support forum will also be activated to assist in locating and facilitating stranded individuals.
A joint committee comprising the Commissioner/Secretary-level transport authorities of both states, along with representatives of the tourist vehicle associations, will be constituted to facilitate and regulate tourist transport movement and safeguard the shared tourism interests of both states.
The Meghalaya government reiterated that it would take responsibility for the safety and security of tourists and vehicles travelling from Assam and other parts of the country into Meghalaya, during their stay and movement within the state.
Minister Atul Bora, who led the Assam government delegation, said both states would take necessary steps for the safety of vehicles.
“We all know that such incidents occur in Meghalaya every year. We could understand the public sentiment following the recent violence in Shillong and conveyed it to the Meghalaya delegation. They have assured to take steps to prevent the recurrence of such incidents,” Bora said.
He appealed to cab operators in Assam, enforcing a road blockade against Meghalaya, to withdraw it. He further appealed to people in Assam and Meghalaya to help restore normalcy, pointing out that the two states share an age-old relationship.