Honey is the ideal medicine for oesophagus damage caused by battery ingestion: Study

Honey and Carafate are the ideal medicines for treating your children who have swallowed button batteries, finds researchers.

Published: 13th June 2018 01:07 PM  |   Last Updated: 13th June 2018 01:55 PM   |  A+A-

Image for representational purpose only.


WASHINGTON D.C: Children usually swallow small items like button batteries, leading to caustic Esophageal injuries. Honey may help!

A study by Kris Jatana of Nationwide Children's Hospital proved that honey or Carafate (a cherry-flavoured duodenal ulcer prescription), can help reduce oesophagal injuries.

In experiments conducted on cadavers and live animals, both honey and Carafate provided a physical barrier. This barrier neutralised the tissue pH which shoots up with battery ingestion. The injury to the Esophagus is comparatively less when honey or Carafate was used, compared to other household items like household liquids, including apple juice, orange juice, sodas, sports drinks, and maple syrup.

"An oesophagal button battery can quickly cause significant injury. We have identified protective interventions for both the household and hospital setting that can reduce injury severity," said co-principal investigator, Jatana.

The study is published in the journal 'Laryngoscope'.

Stay up to date on all the latest Health news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp