STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Army Chief suspected media mischief in mid-March

In an interview to an English Magazine, VK Singh had said the army exercises are being seen as suspicious now.

Published: 05th April 2012 09:41 PM  |   Last Updated: 16th May 2012 10:26 PM   |  A+A-

VK_Singh_new_b_PTI

PTI file photo

NEW DELHI: Three weeks before a controversy over a "suspicious" army movement erupted yesterday, Army Chief Gen V K Singh told a journalist that if the army conducted an exercise some people with "nefarious aims" would say that it "wanted to do something else".

"Even, let us say one of our corps or divisions or brigades does exercise, somebody will say, oh! they did exercise. It was not an exercise, they wanted to do something else.

"Now, you will make a story out of it. There are lots of people who want to make stories these days for various nefarious aims, if I can put it like that," he had told 'The Week' magazine during the interview on March 13.

The Army Chief lamented that today bad news is good news for a journalist while good news is no news, a normal thing.

He also said "if somebody has got any doubt, they should come and face us. They won't because they know they are wrong".

In that interview with the magazine he had also said the Army was doing a professional job but there were people both uniformed and not in uniform, some civil servants, who had their own axe to grind. They start feeding all kinds of wrong things, he said.

"So, you tell him (journalist) something juicy, it comes on front page and nobody even looks whether there is any truth in it. It is already done. So, you have already thrown muck on somebody. There are lots of people who are doing that and I don't know what their motives are," Gen Singh had said.

The Army Chief's comments last month assume significance against the backdrop of a report in the Indian Express yesterday that there was an unusual movement of a Mechanised Infantry unit from Hisar in Haryana and a sizeable section of 50 Para Brigade from Agra on the night of January 16-17 towards the capital.

The news report was described as "alarmist" by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who had said that such reports should not be taken at face value while Defence Minister A K Antony had described it as "absolutely baseless".



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp