NEW DELHI: More than 100 people were still feared trapped under the rubble after a three-storey building of a blanket manufacturing factory collapsed in Focal point area in Jalandhar on Sunday night. Two persons were killed in the incident. 58 people have been rescued so far.
Rescue efforts were still to save those still trapped under the debris of the factory building.
Police, Army and personnel from the National Disaster Relief Force have been on the scene since Monday. The building housed a blanket factory. Workers on the night shift were inside when the structure collapsed.
Chief of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team Commandant Musaffir said his personnel have traced two bodies in the debris.
Efforts are on to extricate them from the rubble, he added.
Two persons out of those rescued have suffered serious injuries and they have been admitted in the ICU unit of a nearby hospital.
There is, however, no confirmation yet on the exact number of people trapped.
Intermittent rain hampered the rescue operation at the accident site.
Police arrested the factory owner and registered a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against her.
"We have arrested Sheetal Vij, the factory owner. A case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder has been registered against Vij," Police Commissioner Gaurav Yadav said.
Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal ordered a probe by a committee headed by Jalandhar divisional commissioner Anurag Verma.
The state government announced a compensation of Rs two lakh each to the kin of the deceased. It also announced a compensation of Rs 65,000 each to the seriously injured and Rs 45,000 each to injured persons.