Have full faith in UK police: Bidve's family

NEW DELHI: The family of Anuj Bidve, a 23-year old student from Pune who was killed on December 26 in UK, on Monday showed full faith in the UK police and said that they will appeal to Indian

Published: 02nd January 2012 09:04 PM  |   Last Updated: 16th May 2012 06:07 PM   |  A+A-

NEW DELHI: The family of Anuj Bidve, a 23-year old student from Pune who was killed on December 26 in UK, on Monday showed full faith in the UK police and said that they will appeal to Indian consulate to expedite the repatriation of Anuj's body to India. Two top police officials from Manchester on Monday visited the family of Anuj Bidve.

"Greater manchester police officials visited us. Five suspects were arrested in the murder case, 4 released on bail. One suspect has been charged. The trial date will be given to us. Second post mortem dates will be given to us," Bidve's sister Neha Sonawane said.

"Second post mortem will be conducted on Tuesday. If the report of two pathology reports match, Anuj's body will be then handed over to Indian High commission," she added.

"Candle light vigil will be held in memory of Anuj Bidve. Family still anxious on repatriation of body to India. We appeal to Indian consul to expedite the repatriation of Anuj's body to India," she said, adding that they have full trust in Greater Manchester police.

Earlier, Manchester chief police superintendent Berry Russel Jackson and another official who arrived in Pune on Sunday evening drove straight to Bidve family's house in Chandannagar area to discuss matters relating to the death of Anuj who was studying at Lancaster university for his MS degree in micro-electronics.

Anuj was shot dead from a point blank range by a British youth on Boxing day.

A 20-year-old British youth, charged for the cold-blooded murder of Indian student Anuj Bidve, shocked everyone on Monday by calling himself a "psycho" in court before being remanded to custody.

Stapleton was remanded to custody for 24 hours at the City of Manchester Magistrates Court.

There was no application for bail and the case has now been sent to the Manchester Crown Court.

Wearing a grey T-shirt and trousers, Stapleton was brought in handcuffs into a court room packed with reporters. Asked to confirm his name and address as per normal procedure in court, the suspect said his name was "Psycho. Psycho Stapleton".

Bidve, a 23-year-old student of Lancaster University, was shot dead on a Salford street on Boxing Day.

Meanwhile, Bidve's friends, local leaders and residents prepared to attend a candle-light vigil in his memory at the spot in Salford where he was killed.

A similar vigil planned in New Delhi is scheduled to culminate outside the British High Commission.

In Salford, hundreds of people are expected to attend the event initially organised by friends of Bidve on Facebook.

Senior Labour MP Keith Vaz is also expected to attend, besides local leaders and residents appalled at the incident.

Officers from the Greater Manchester Police on Sunday night left for India to meet Bidve's family.

Bidve, who was a postgraduate student of Microelectronics, died from a single gunshot wound to the head. He was described by tutors as "an outstanding applicant at the very beginning of a promising career".

The Greater Manchester Police said the reward of 50,000 pounds for information related to the case was still on offer.

Two senior officers from Greater Manchester Police have arrived in Pune to meet Bidve's family, the police said.

Assistant Chief Constable Dawn Copley said: "We felt it was important to make personal contact with the family and offer them every support we could at this difficult time.

"We need to explain to them in person where we are up to in the investigation and what we are doing to ensure Anuj's body is released to them as soon as possible".

She added: "Having this conversation face-to-face is absolutely the right thing to do and we will of course continue to provide whatever support we can when the family arrive in the UK and once they have returned home".

The police was liaising with the coroner about returning Bidve's body to his family members, who are expected to reach Manchester later this week.

The Indian high commission is facilitating the process. Copley said: "This remains a complex investigation and the fact we have charged someone does not mean the investigation is complete".


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp