STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Court reserves judgement in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case

Published: 03rd April 2013 05:37 PM  |   Last Updated: 03rd April 2013 05:37 PM   |  A+A-

By PTI

A Delhi court on Wednesday reserved its judgement in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case in which Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and five others are accused.

District Jugde J R Aryan fixed the matter for April 16 for clarification, if any, from CBI or the six accused persons after they concluded the final arguments in the case.

"Judgement is reserved. To come up for clarification, if any, on April 16," the judge said.

Concluding the final arguments, CBI prosecutor D P Singh said that the prosecution has limited itself to what each of the witnesses had seen at the time of the incident.

The witnesses have given honest versions of what they all had seen during the riots, he said, alleging that in all the complaints wherever Kumar's name had cropped up, it was "immediately eliminated" from the police records.

During the arguments, Kumar's counsel I U Khan told the court that there were material contradictions in statements of the witnesses, including complainant Jagdish Kaur.

Khan said Kaur had not taken Kumar's name anywhere in any of her affidavits filed before various judicial commissions, constituted to probe the riots-related cases, till 2010.

"When she (Kaur) appeared in the court in 2010 to record her statement, she gave us a shock by naming Sajjan Kumar for the first time and said something which was not there in the records," he argued.

Kumar is facing trial along with five others--Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal - for allegedly inciting a mob against the Sikh community in Delhi Cantonment area.

The case relates to anti-Sikh riots that had broken out after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.

During the arguments today, senior advocate H S Phoolka, who is representing the riots victim in the case, said that the crime was committed in broad daylight and the victims have been waiting for justice from nearly 29 years.

Complainant Kaur had lost her husband, a young son and three brothers during the 1984 riots.

The Delhi police had earlier probed the riots cases and the investigation was handed over to CBI in 2005. CBI had earlier told the court there was a conspiracy of "terrifying proportion" between Kumar and the police during the riots.

The agency had said the police had kept its "eyes closed" to the wide-spread violence.

The case against Kumar was registered in 2005 on a recommendation by Justice G T Nanavati Commission. CBI had filed two charge sheets against him and the other accused in January 2010.

The trial court had framed charges against Kumar and the five others under Sections 302 (murder), 395 (dacoity), 427 (mischief to cause damage to property), 153-A (promoting enmity between different communities) and other provisions of IPC.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp