Defence Minister A K Antony on Wednesday said the Centre will take ‘ruthless’ action against Armed Forces personnel found guilty on rapes and other crimes against women.
His comments come in the wake of strong protests from women’s and human rights groups against keeping the defence personnel, covered under the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), out of the new ordinance for women’s protection against heinous crimes such as rape. Antony also said he had already issued directions to the Armed Forces to show ‘zero tolerance’ towards rapes and crimes against women committed by its personnel. “Our government is serious and very concerned over the protection of women. We will take strong action against any person troubling women, be it rape or any other crime,” Antony said.
“We will take action and there will be no sympathy. We will take ruthless action. We will take strong, speedy, and convincing action. That applies to the Armed Forces too,” he said to a query at the Aero India press conference held at the Yelahanka Air Force Base here.