A month after blaming the BJP and RSS for training and promoting ‘Hindu Terror’ in the country, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Wednesday expressed regret for making the “baseless” statement at Congress’ Chintan Shivir on January 20.
In a written statement Shinde said, “There is no basis for suggesting that terror can be linked to organisations mentioned in my brief speech in Jaipur.”
Although, the Congress had distanced itself from Shinde’s remark, the astute politician from Maharashtra was indecisive about withdrawing his controversial comment.
However, the move came after the main opposition party, BJP, mounted a scathing attack on Shinde, describing him as a ‘darling of terrorists’ and demanded a public apology.
The party had also decided to boycott the leader of the Lok Sabha in and outside Parliament.
According to sources, Shinde had discussed a way out with the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, to ensure the smooth functioning of the ensuing Budget session of Parliament.
In a three-paragraph written statement issued on the eve of the Budget session, Shinde said his comments had been misunderstood.
“My statement given in Jaipur last month has created a misunderstanding. It has been understood to mean that I was linking terrorism to a particular religion and was accusing certain political organisations of being involved in organising terror camps,” Shinde said.
He said he had no intention of linking terror with any religion.
“Since a controversy has been created on account of my statement, I am issuing this clarification and expressing regret to those who felt hurt by my statement,” the Home Minister said.
“I will continue to perform my duties to the best of my ability to ensure that harmony is maintained in the social fabric of India,” he added.