Maharashtra chemists oppose drug panel's decision

Mumbai, June 24 (IANS) Around 55,000 chemists shops in Maharashtra Monday launched a \'work-to-rule\' action to oppose the Food and Drug Administration\'s (FDA) decision to compulsorily appoint a full-time pharmacist in shops, a top official said.

Published: 24th June 2013 03:37 PM  |   Last Updated: 24th June 2013 03:37 PM   |  A+A-

By IANS

Around 55,000 chemists shops in Maharashtra Monday launched a 'work-to-rule' action to oppose the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) decision to compulsorily appoint a full-time pharmacist in shops, a top official said.

"Of these, some 10,000-plus pharmacies are in Mumbai and Thane regions, which will remain open only from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday onwards," said Maharashtra Chemists & Druggists Association secretary Anil Navandar.

This would mean that at all other times, no medical shops would remain open to sell medicines, even if there are emergency demands from patients, he said.

"One pharmacist can practically work for one eight-hour shift, with a monthly payment ranging from Rs.7,000-30,000, depending on the class of city where they operate. Chemists shops simply cannot afford to hire an additional pharmacist to comply with the FDA decision," Navandar told IANS.

Besides, there are approximately 130,000 licensed pharmacists in the state, of which a majority are already employed in the central or state governments, private sector, corporates, NGOs, teaching sector etc and hence are unavailable for working in shops.

"The question is dual - affordability and availability - and hence we urge the FDA to adopt a flexible approach on humanitarian grounds as patients are directly affected," Navandar said.

According to the Maharashtra FDA, nearly 70 percent chemists chops are owned and managed by licensed pharmacists. Of the remaining 30 percent, nearly half do not have a full-time pharmacist available for dispensing medicines.

Navandar said it has no grudge on this count but the FDA must first identify the shops which are not complying with the law.

"After weeding out the defaulters, give them some time, say six months, and if they still fail to comply, their licence can be cancelled and their shop shut down," Navandar said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp