Two killed in Kashmir firing, army orders probe

Published: 30th June 2013 12:14 PM  |   Last Updated: 30th June 2013 06:15 PM   |  A+A-

Two people were killed in Jammu and Kashmir Sunday allegedly in firing by security forces. The army has ordered an investigation into the incident and assured action against anybody found guilty.

Residents of Markundal village in north Kashmir's Bandipora district, some 40 km from here, alleged that Irfan Nabi Ganai, an 18-year-old student, was killed by security forces early Sunday.

Carrying the body, locals staged a protest in the area. However, when the protesters turned violent and tried to set an army ambulance afire, security forces opened fire in which four people got injured, army sources said.

One of the wounded, identified as Irshad Ahmad Dar, 28, succumbed to his injuries while being taken to hospital.

The three other wounded people were admitted to hospital in Srinagar.

The army said it deeply condoled the deaths of two people in firing incidents, assuring action against any trooper found guilty in these incidents.

"I deeply condole the deaths of the two persons who were killed in a firing incident today in Bandipora district. Our hearts go out to the bereaved families, " Major General R.R. Nimbhorkar, general officer commanding (GOC) of army's Victor Force, told reporters in south Kashmir's Awantipora headquarters of the counter-insurgency force.

"The incident has happened today morning. We have ordered an investigation into the incident. I can assure you that anybody found guilty in the incident would be punished," Nimbhorkar said.

The GOC asserted that a cordon had been laid around Markundal village after a tip-off about the presence of guerrillas there.

He said the operation had jointly been launched with police.

When asked whether he would confirm the two slain people had been killed in army firing, the GOC said nothing could be said with certainty unless the investigations were completed.

Villagers alleged that the army killed Ganai after he came out of his home around 3.30 a.m. following rumours that thieves were moving around in the village.

Earlier army sources had told IANS that fire came from outside the cordoned off area in the village where the counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles had laid a cordon.

The sources also said an ambulance of the army had been caught in a violent mob, forcing the occupants to open fire in self-defence.

Spontaneous protests erupted in Markundal and adjacent villages after the news about the incidents spread.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp