STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

'Saree-blanket' scheme is SP government's latest poll candy

Published: 06th September 2013 09:26 AM  |   Last Updated: 06th September 2013 09:26 AM   |  A+A-

With the 2014 LS polls barely nine months away, the Akhilesh Yadav-led SP Government on Thursday rolled out another scheme to distribute free sarees and blankets to the women and elderly belonging to the BPL sections in the state.

 Besides, the state govt has put in place the measures to fast-track the implementation of the scheme, under which the beneficiaries will get two sarees and a blanket. And a sum of `500 crore has been set apart for the saree-blanket scheme.

the SP had promised free distribution of sarees and blankets in its  manifesto for last year’s Assembly polls. But the party had held it back so as to unveil it on the eve of the LS polls in order to derive the maximum political mileage.

 Two days ago,  a meeting of the state Cabinet chaired by Akhilesh gave its nod and the CM said that the Panchayati Raj Department would be the nodal department for  the implementation of the scheme.

 And a district-level committee headed by the District Magistrate has been set up to oversee the distribution.  Also, it has been decided to purchase 60 per cent of the sarees from the samitis representing the weavers, while the remaining 40 per cent would come from the state and national agencies like the National Textile Corporation.

 Meanwhile, there were initially some reservations from the Muslim community regarding the state government’s freebie since several women belonging to the community do not wear sarees. Hence, the administration would instead provide them with an unstitched piece of cloth.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp