JAMMU: After a lull of few days, Pakistani troops again pounded civilian areas as also the military positions in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir but no casualty was reported in the latest incident of ceasefire violation.
Pakistani troops targeted the forward areas using 60 mm mortar bombs and automatic weapons in Balakote area for about 20 minutes last evening, a defence spokesman said today. Army troops guarding the border responded effectively and appropriately, the spokesman said.
There was no report of any casualty in the incident. The fresh ceasefire violation has occurred after a few days of lull along LoC in Poonch district. On August 19, Pakistan Rangers resorted to three rounds of firing on a BoP along IB in Samba sector around 2230 hours without any casualty or injury to anyone.
There have been 52 violations of the border ceasefire agreement of 2003 by Pakistan in August and over 245 ceasefire violations this year so far.
The latest incident came a day after Pakistan called off the NSA talks with India during which the issue of terrorism was to be discussed as per the understanding reached in Ufa, Russia, between Prime Ministers Narendra Modi and Nawaz Sharif.
In Ufa, the two countries had also agreed that heads of border guards -- BSF and Pakistan Rangers -- would meet soon to discuss how to bring peace on the border. There is still uncertainty on this meeting.