AHMEDABAD: Three workers of a chemical manufacturing company were today killed and two others fell ill after inhaling poisonous gas in the factory premises in the industrial area of Ankleshwar town, police said.
The gas leakage occurred in the factory premises of Shree Ganesh Remedies Pvt Ltd this morning. The two others are undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital, said Ankelshwar GIDC police inspector P L Chaudhari. The deceased have been identified as Rajabhaiya Singh (31), Satyendra Singh (22) and Raju Prajapati (22). According to an Accidental Death (AD) complaint filed with Ankleshwar GIDC police, some poisonous gas leaked when five of these workers were operating centrifuge machine in plant number 3 of the factory early this morning.
"At that time, hazardous gas started leaking from nearby area. These workers, who inhaled the gas, were rushed to a hospital in the city. However, three of them died upon reaching while two are now being treated at the hospital," said Chaudhari. According to him, the company makes pharmaceutical intermediates at this factory.
"We have lodged a complaint in this regard and started investigation as to how the gas leaked. We have also informed government officials concerned about the incident," said Chaudhari. This is second such incident of death due to gas leakage in this industrial hub in the recent past. On Monday, two workers had died while handling chemical waste at the premises of a company engaged in chemical waste management in the GIDC area.
The duo had died after some poisonous gas got leaked when they were offloading chemical waste from a tanker at Bharuch Enviro Infrastructure Limited (BEIL), said Chaudhari.