NEW DELHI: The Centre on Tuesday directed all Ministries and central Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) to do away with interviews for recruitments from January 1. However, skill or physical tests of qualifying nature will continue.
The move follows Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s announcement in his Independence Day speech last year about scrapping interviews to the junior-level posts as the practice was giving rise to corruption.
According to a DoPT communication on Tuesday, there will be no recruitment with interview at the junior-level posts in government of India ministries, departments, attached and subordinate offices, autonomous bodies and PSUs. The decision to discontinue interview for recruitments is for all Group C and non-gazetted posts of Group ‘B’ category and all such equivalent posts, the DoPT said.
“It is also clarified that as skill test or physical test is different from interview, they may continue. However, these tests will only be of qualifying nature. Assessment will not be done on the basis of marks for such tests,” the communication said. The timeliness set regarding completing the process of the discontinuation of interview by December 31, 2015 has to be adhered to strictly, a communique sent by Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) to secretaries of all central government ministries said.
From January 1, 2016, there will be no recruitment with interview at the junior level posts in government of India ministries, departments, attached and subordinate offices, autonomous bodies and Public Sector Undertakings. “All the advertisement for future vacancies will be without the interview as part of the recruitment process,” it said. The ministries have been asked to send a consolidated report to the DoPT by January 7 in this regard.