MUMBAI: The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai today demolished a controversial ramp outside Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan's famous bungalow 'Mannat', in suburban Bandra.
BJP MP Poonam Mahajan had sought removal of the ramp, following complaints by residents of the seafront area.
"We have demolished the illegal ramp," said an MCGM official, adding that the action was taken after the 49-year-old actor failed respond to a notice asking him to remove it in seven days.
"The actor may even have to pay fine for not complying with the notice given last week," the official said.
Mahajan, the local MP, had written to MCGM commissioner Sitaram Kunte on January 29 asking him to demolish the structure as residents complained about "chaos and traffic build-up" which it caused.
"The ramp is known to be used by the bungalow owner to park his private heavy motor vehicle. In view of the safety and convenience of citizens, I request you to undertake demolition of the illegal ramp," the letter stated, without naming Khan.
The residents claimed that it obstructed one side of the road and blocked the way to stairs leading to Mount Mary church.