Actor Salman Khan who stirred up a controversy with a series of posts on the micro-blogging site Twitter expressing his anger against the hanging of Yakub Memon has now apologised.
The actor tweeted, "My dad called & said I should retract my tweets as they have the potential to create misunderstanding. I here by retract them."
My dad called & said I should retract my tweets as they have the potential to create misunderstanding. I here by retract them.— Salman Khan (@BeingSalmanKhan) July 26, 2015
He further added, "I would like to unconditionally apologise for any misunderstanding I may have created unintentionally."
"I also strongly condemn those who are claiming my tweets are anti religious. I have always said I respect all faiths and I always will." said the actor.
I would like to unconditionally apologise for any misunderstanding I may have created unintentionally.— Salman Khan (@BeingSalmanKhan) July 26, 2015
The actor had earlier said it was unfair to hang Yakub while his brother Tiger Memon, one of the prime accused in the case is still absconding.
He also reminded that killing one innocent man is like killing the humanity.
Yakub Memon was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court and his hanging was scheduled to take place on his birthday, July 30.
On Tuesday, the Supreme Court had rejected his last-minute appeal and upheld his hanging for July 30.
Yakub Memon challenged the apex court's order arguing that legal procedure was overlooked in awarding him death penalty saying that the special TADA (Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention)) court, which ordered him death warrant in 2007, did so before he could exhaust all his legal options.
Chief Justice of India on Friday constituted a three-member special bench to hear Yakub Memon's plea seeking a stay on the Supreme Court order.
The Supreme Court will now hear the matter on Monday.
(with agency inputs)