STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Manufacturer's Negligence, Consumers' Nightmare: 6 Incidents Involving Food Products That Shocked the Public

Published: 22nd June 2015 11:28 AM  |   Last Updated: 22nd June 2015 11:47 AM   |  A+A-

Though Maggi being banned in various states across India for allegedly containing excessive lead and MSG (Monosodium Glutamate), almost on a day today basis people can see various reports of different products almost causing food scare in India.

Here are 10 incidents involving food products that shocked the public:

KFC.png

1. KFC Chicken and Its Worm Incidents

Coimbatore Unit of the Food Safety Wing registered a case against a KFC outlet, where a bucket of chicken, bought by a customer, was found to contain dead worms. This has happened for the second time in India, after a similar incident in Thiruvananthapuram.

Baby Cereal.jpg 

2. Live Weevils Found in Baby Cereal

The company found itself in more trouble after live weevils were found in a cereal product meant for infants. A shocked IT professional had bought the cereal to feed his one-year-old son.

glucon-d-insects.png

3. Family Go Sick After Consuming Glucon D Containing Insects

A packet of the energy drink 'Glucon-D' was allegedly found with insects here, following which it was sent for examination. The customer along with his family ended up vomiting after consuming the product.

PepsiCo.jpg 

4. Pepsi, Coke 2003 Pesticide Scandal

Pepsi and Coke were banned in Rajasthan in 2003 after several studies claimed that it found to contain carcinogenic and immunosuppressive substances and traces of pesticides. Sale of Pepsi and Coke are still banned in the premises of Parliament and Punjab state Assembly. Later, an SC judgment said that the percentage of pesticides found in the sweetened carbonated water manufactured by Pepsico was within the tolerance limits and quashed the case.

nan.jpg

5. Live Larvae Found In Nestle's Milk Powder Pack

A taxi driver from Tamil Nadu stumbled upon live larvae in Nestle NAN PRO 3 carton, a milk powder for toddlers. Prem Ananth had already fed one of his 18-month-old child who later developed skin allergy and was admitted in a private paediatric care centre.

food.png

6. Now, Worms in Packet of Glucose D

A packet of glucose D is supposed to give you instant energy. Or so the manufacturer claims. But a consumer in Sulur found that worms had taken a liking to glucose. They were so energised that they were found alive and kicking in a hermetically sealed pack.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp