One More Dengue Death in Delhi, Toll Mounts to 21

A 38-year-old dengue patient died allegedly due to medical negligence, taking the death toll in Delhi to 21.

Published: 19th September 2015 09:51 PM  |   Last Updated: 19th September 2015 11:51 PM   |  A+A-


NEW DELHI: A 38-year-old dengue patient died allegedly due to medical negligence, taking the death toll in Delhi to 21, as hospitals across the capital remained flooded with people down with the mosquito-borne fever, prompting the city government to order conversion of 55 dispensaries into 'Fever and Dengue Clinics' from Monday.

Also Read:

PIL in HC for Proper Treatment to Dengue Patients in UP

Dengue: Delhi Minister Draws Flak for Remark Against Doctors 

As the city remained in the grip of dengue, the Union Health Ministry issued a fresh advisory to Delhi government to "intensify" measures to check breeding of mosquitoes after experts warned that the dengue situation may worsen in the wake of fresh showers. So far over 2,000 people have been affected by dengue in Delhi.

Harish Chauhan, a resident of south Delhi's Deoli village, succumbed to dengue at Batra Hospital. A 34-year-old woman from Kalyanpuri is also suspected to have died of dengue at Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital.

Chauhan's family alleged that two government hospitals did not extend proper treatment to him for dengue while for five days, Batra Hospital, where he died yesterday, treated him for liver infection.

Deceased's brother Mukesh Chauhan alleged that they took Harish to Madan Mohan Malviya Hospital on September 11 after he complained of fever and started vomiting but the doctors there asked him to go home after prescribing some medicines.

In the night, his condition deteriorated and he was rushed to Safdarjung Hospital where he was admitted in medicine ward.

Mukesh alleged that though Harish's condition deteriorated, no senior doctor came to see him despite repeated requests.

"They threw the files at me and asked me to take him anywhere at my risk," Mukesh alleged adding he was then taken to Batra Hospital where he was treated for liver infection "They treated him for liver infection for the first five days. On September 17. They told us he had dengue. His condition further deteriorated and he passed away yesterday," said Mukesh adding Batra charged a hefty amount to hand over the body.

Batra hospital said the patient was brought to the hospital with chronic liver disease.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp