Two Floors of Bhiwandi Building Gutted; 170 Residents Rescued

The blaze began around 7 AM after a powerloom unit on the ground floor at Nagoan caught fire and spread to first floor.

Published: 12th April 2016 07:24 PM  |   Last Updated: 12th April 2016 07:24 PM   |  A+A-


THANE: A devastating fire broke out today in a four-storey residential building in the powerloom town of Bhiwandi here, gutting two floors and forcing nearly 170 trapped residents to move to the terrace before firemen began rescue operations and evacuated all of them safely.

The blaze began around 7 AM after a powerloom unit on the ground floor of the building at Nagoan caught fire and spread to the first floor, where yarn and other raw materials were stored, Vaishali Lambhate, tehsildar of Bhiwandi located about 35 km from Mumbai, said.

Both the floors housing a sizing unit as well as a goods godown were completely damaged in the mishap.

However, firemen prevented the raging flames from reaching the upper floors and there were no casualties, said Chief of the Disastar Control Cell of Bhiwandi-Nizampur Municipal Corporation, Namdeo Gaikwad.

According to Gaikwad, revenue officials were preparing the 'panchnama' to assess the damage/losses caused by the fire while civic officials were examining the other factors including the safety measures taken by the owner of the unit, he said.

Attributing the cause of the fire to a "short circuit", Lambhate said a criminal case will be soon filed in this regard.

Eyewitnesses said that chaos reigned at the mishap site this morning as locals ran out of the homes on seeing smoke emanating from the ground and first floor of the building.

According to Gaikwad, soon after the fire broke out, six fire tenders from Thane, Kalyan, Ulhasnagar and Bhiwandi were pressed into service and rescue operations were launched swiftly around 7.30 AM.

The trapped families were directed to move to the building terrace from where they were rescued later with the help of snorkel ladders brought by Thane and Kalyan fire brigade personnel, he said.

He said as many as 170 residents including women, elders and children stranded on the terrace were brought down safely.

The raging fire was doused around noon, an official said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp