Two Hurt in Fresh Clashes in Kashmir, CM Visits Victims' Kin

Curfew-like restrictions continued in certain parts and mobile internet services were snapped throughout the Valley.

Published: 16th April 2016 08:01 PM  |   Last Updated: 16th April 2016 08:01 PM   |  A+A-


Security jawans guard a deserted street during the 4th consecutive day of strike and restrictions in Srinagar on Saturday. Authorities have imposed restrictions in the view of the strike called by separatists against the killing of five persons in Handwar


SRINAGAR: Several parts of Kashmir were today rocked by clashes, leaving two youth injured, even as Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti sought to douse the flames by visiting and assuring justice to families of those killed since Tuesday in firing by security forces amid her assertion that such incidents are "unacceptable".

Curfew-like restrictions continued in certain parts of Kashmir and mobile internet services were snapped throughout the Valley.

Two youth Yawar Rashid and Gowhar Majid sustained injuries when security forces fired pellet guns to disperse stone-pelting protestors in Trehgam area of Kupwara district, a police official said.

He said both the injured were shifted to a hospital in Srinagar for specialised treatment.

Protestors resorted to stone-pelting on security forces at Nathnusa soon after police stopped and turned back MLA Langate Sheikh Abdul Rashid, who wanted to visit Drugmulla, the official said.

Protests were also reported from Barsoo area of Ganderbal district where a group of youth blocked the road and resorted to stone-pelting, he said, adding they were chased away.

In Naidkhai in Bandipora, protestors set ablaze an abandoned barrack of police, he said. The tin-shed barrack had been abandoned following the recent floods.

While most of Srinagar city remained peaceful, a minor incident of stone-pelting was reported from Natipora area, the official said.

Meanwhile, mother of the 16-year-old girl, whose alleged molestation on Tuesday triggered the cycle of violence in Kashmir, claimed that her daughter was pressurised into giving a video statement denying she was molested and has approached court seeking an independent probe into the incident.

"We do not want police or Army, those who have done this, to inquire it," she said.

As tension persisted, Mehbooba visited and consoled the family of 18-year-old Arif Hussain Dar who was killed yesterday when army opened fire to disperse stone-pelting mobs outside a camp in Nathnusa area of Kupwara, 100 kms from here.

She visited families of other deceased also.

Five people have died since Tuesday in firing by security forces on protesters who were agitating against alleged molestation in Handwara town of Kupwara district.

"The Chief Minister met the kin of the victims who were killed since Tuesday in the district. She expressed solidarity with them and assured them that inquiry will be conducted and justice done," said an official who was present.

Mehbooba flew to Kupwara to make an on-the-spot assessment of the situation. She also chaired a meeting of local officers which was attended by Deputy Chief Minister Nirmal Singh, Minister for Rural Development Abdul Haq Khan, MLA Handwara Sajad Lone, Chief Secretary B R Sharma, DGP K Rajendra Kumar and senior Army officer.

Mehbooba made it clear that no civilian should be harmed while security forces deal with law-and-order situations.

She said she had a telephonic talk with Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar last evening and also met Northern Army Commander Lt Gen D S Hooda and told them that incidents like the ones at Handwara and Nathnusa are "unacceptable" and come as a major setback to the efforts of the state government in consolidating peace dividends in the state.

"I have told Gen Hooda to exercise maximum restraint while dealing with law-and-order situations," she said, adding the Defence Minister has assured her of time-bound investigation into the unfortunate incidents that led to the death of civilians during protests at Handwara and Natnusa.

While interacting with the members of the civil society, the Chief Minister sought their cooperation in restoring peace and normalcy in the frontier district.

She said she wanted to be with the people at this hour, grasp the sequence of events that led to the cycle of violence and the action taken by the law-enforcing authorities.

Mehbooba said she was deeply saddened by the series of unfortunate events which led to the death of four young boys and an old woman.

"I never dreamt of coming to Kupwara like this after taking over as the Chief Minister. It is most unfortunate," she said.

While being briefed about the prevailing situation, Mehbooba said the Standard Operating Procedure (SoP) should not remain a mere word but become a potent tool while dealing with law-and-order situations.

Concerned over the situation, the Centre decided to rush 3,600 additional paramilitary personnel to the Valley and asked the state government to ensure that there is no further loss of lives.

Meanwhile, strict restrictions were imposed in some areas in north Kashmir, including Kupwara and Handwara towns, to maintain law and order, a police official said.

He said restrictions also continued in some police station areas of Srinagar city as a precautionary measure.

The affected police station areas include Maharajgunj, Khanyar, Nowhatta, Rainawari, Safakadal and Maisuma, he said.

The restrictions were imposed following death of three persons during protests against alleged molestation of a girl by a soldier in Handwara town on Tuesday.

Another youth was killed in Drugmulla area of Kupwara during protests against the Handwara incident a day after. In the fresh spate of violence yesterday, Dar was killed.

Mobile Internet services were completely snapped in the Valley to curb rumour-mongering, the official said.

The strike called by separatist groups also affected life in the Valley, with shops, business establishments, private educational institutions and petrol pumps in most district headquarters remaining shut.

Police and paramilitary CRPF were deployed in strength in sensitive areas to foil any attempt to hold protests.

Most of the separatist leaders have either been arrested or kept under house arrest.

Kashmir University has postponed all examinations scheduled for today. A spokesman of the varsity said fresh dates for these examinations would be notified later.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp