KANPUR: Three members of family died after inhaling a toxic gas while trying to rescue a goat which fell into a well in Ghatampur village here.
Police said the incident took place in the afternoon when the goat belonging to Suresh Yadav (45) fell into an abandoned well in the village.
Yadav's nephew Shivam (17) jumped into the well in a bid to recuse the goat, but did not come out. Soon after, Yadav and his brother Rajesh (40) jumped into it one after another.
When they did not come out of it, the villagers alerted police, who pulled out the bodies. Police said the three apparently died after inhaling the toxic gas formed due to decomposition of organic matter.