Intense protests persist despite strict curfew in Kashmir, internet services suspended briefly

Government troops in armored vehicles patrolled the streets to thwart any attempt by protesters in Srinagar.

Published: 13th August 2016 05:22 PM  |   Last Updated: 13th August 2016 06:22 PM   |  A+A-

Kashmir protest AP

An Indian paramilitary soldier, second right, gestures to stone throwing protestors to stop as a Kashmiri woman carrying a child crosses the street during clashes between Kashmiri protestors and India troops in Srinagar, Indian controlled Kashmir, Thursda


SRINAGAR: Authorities in Kashmir on Saturday extended a strict curfew to most parts of the restive region as separatist leaders called for weekend protests against Indian rule. Administration also suspended all internet services briefly in Kashmir.

The broadband services were snapped at around 4.30 pm but were restored at 5 pm, officials said without giving any reason. However, some broadband subscribers said their connections had not been restored yet.

"I am subscribing to BSNL broadband services but so far my service has not been restored," said Mohammad Yousuf Shah, a resident of Hazratbal.

The mobile internet services were snapped across Kashmir last month as a precautionary measure to prevent rumour mongering following violent clashes in the wake of killing of Hibzul Mujahideen commander Burhan on July 8 in an encounter with security forces.

Government troops in armored vehicles patrolled the streets to thwart any attempt by protesters in Srinagar to march to the city's commercial center.

Despite the stringent curfew, protests erupted at about eight places in the city on Saturday. At two places, police and paramilitary soldiers fired tear gas and shotgun pellets to stop rock-throwing protesters.

At least 10 people, including six policemen, were injured in clashes across the region, said a police officer speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Separatist leaders, who challenge India's sovereignty over Kashmir, urged Kashmiris to march to a historic square over the weekend to demand a referendum to decide the future of the region.

Shops, businesses and schools were shut for the 36th straight day and authorities blocked most cellphone services and internet in an attempt to prevent demonstrators from mobilizing.

Kashmir has been under a security lockdown and curfew since the killing of a popular rebel commander on July 8 sparked some of the largest protests against Indian rule in recent years. At least 56 civilians and two policemen have been killed and more than 1,400 protesters have been arrested.

Kashmir is divided between archrivals India and Pakistan, but claimed by both in its entirety.

India accuses Pakistan of arming and training Kashmiri rebels who have been fighting for independence or for a merger with Pakistan since 1989. Pakistan denies the charge, saying it only provides moral and political support.

More than 68,000 people have been killed since rebel groups began fighting Indian forces in 1989 and in a subsequent Indian military crackdown.


(With inputs from PTI)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp