Two soldiers, one policeman killed in Hizbul Mujahideen attack in Kashmir

2 army men, a policeman killed when militants of Hizbul Mujahideen attacked a convoy of security forces in Kashmir.

Published: 17th August 2016 07:47 PM  |   Last Updated: 17th August 2016 08:36 PM   |  A+A-


Army personnel move towards the house where militants were holed up at Ladoora village in Rafiabad area of Baramulla district on August 2. | PTI

SRINAGAR: Two army men and a policeman were killed when militants of Hizbul Mujahideen  attacked a convoy of security forces in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district in Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday

An army official said a group of two to three militants ambushed army convoy and a police vehicle on Srinagar-Baramulla national highway at  Khawja Bagh Baramulla in Baramulla district at around 2:30 am.

“In the militant firing, two army men and a policeman were killed and four army men and a policeman injured. The injured security men were hospitalized,” he said.

He said the exchange of gunfire between militants and security forces lasted for half an hour. “During the gunfight, militants managed to escape from the site”.

The deceased soldiers were identified as Sepoy J.Gosh and Sepoy Shakti Singh while slain policeman was identified as Pritpal Singh.

After the gunfight, army and policemen laid siege around the area to nab the militants involved in the attack. However, no arrests were reported.

A police spokesman said a police vehicle was also passing through the area when militants attacked the army convoy.

He said the injured army men and policeman have been evacuated to army hospital in Srinagar for specialized treatment.

Pro-Pakistan militant group Hizbul Mujahideen claimed responsibility of the attack.

Hizb’s operational spokesperson Burhanuddin told local news gathering agencies in Srinagar that five army men were killed in the attack, which was  carried out by special squad of the outfit.

“Some of the army men also sustained serious injuries in the attack,” he said.

He said Hizb Deputy Commander Saifullah Khalid has asked militants to intensify attacks on security establishments.

“Khalid decided to reward the group of militants responsible for today’s attack,” he said.

The militant attack came two days after two militants attacked paramilitary CRPF patrol party at Nowhatta in downtown Srinagar on August 15. A Commanding officer of CRPF was killed and nine security men injured in the gunfight in which both the militants were also killed.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp