STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Haryana on alert as fresh Jat stir begins today

The Haryana government is not taking any chances this time ahead of the Jat quota  agitation from Sunday and the State is on high alert as 48 companies of paramilitary forces have been deployed besides Haryana Police across the State.

Published: 05th June 2016 06:07 AM  |   Last Updated: 05th June 2016 08:14 AM   |  A+A-

CHANDIGARH: The Haryana government is not taking any chances this time ahead of the Jat quota  agitation from Sunday and the State is on high alert as 48 companies of paramilitary forces have been deployed besides Haryana Police across the State.

While khap panchayats have opted out of the agitation from June 5, All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (AIJASS) is going ahead with the protest.

Haryana Additional Chief Secretary (Home) Ram Niwas said, “Already 48 companies of paramilitary forces have been deployed at various places in the State due to the call given of stir by Jats from Sunday. We have asked for 15 more companies from the Union Government.’’

In February, during the Jat agitation, the agitators had disrupted water supply to Delhi by damaging the carrier-lined channel of Munak Canal. So this time, police and paramilitary forces had been deployed to guard this canal in Sonepat district.

Also Read:

Ahead of Jat stir, Internet services banned in Sonepat district

Haryana traders appeal to Jats to hold peaceful agitation

Jat riots: Police cowards, acted with caste bias, says Report

Sedition case against Jat body chief, 125 others 

Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the CrPC have already been imposed in seven sensitive districts of Haryana barring gathering of five or more persons and paramilitary forces have been conducting flag marches during the past few days. Also Haryana Police have cancelled leave of all personnel except in emergency cases till further orders.

Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mohammad Akil said, “The police stations are adequately equipped to deal with any kind of protest.’’

However, Jat leaders have assured the  state government that they will maintain peace during the  protest and will not block roads or railway tracks. The government has specified one spot in each district where people can hold peaceful protest. Thirty people were killed and properties worth hundreds of crores of rupees were destroyed during the February quota agitation by Jats.

Meanwhile, the Prakash Singh committee, which probed the violence during the Jat quota agitation, on Saturday termed as a “bona fide mistake” the inclusion of INLD MP Dushyant Chautala’s name for allegedly adding “fuel to the fire” during the stir. Singh has urged the state government to make necessary corrections in all copies of the report.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp