GOA: One sailor died and three other injured in an incident of steam leak and minor fire in one of the boiler rooms of INS Viraat on Sunday afternoon.
INS Viraat, which was on a routine deployment to Goa, reported an incident of steam leak and minor fire in one of the ship's boiler rooms.
Chief Engineering Mechanic Ashu Singh was critical having suffered smoke inhalation and was shifted to the naval hospital at Goa where he suffered a cardiac arrest and succumbed to his injury.
While the incident was quickly brought under control, four sailors who were present at the scene and combating the fire sustained injury from the smoke.
The other three are under treatment and out of danger. Prima facie, some insulating material in the boiler room appears to have caught fire from heat due to steam leak. Investigations are on. Viraat is expected to sail back to Mumbai soon.