STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

One-man Panel to Probe the Case of Missing Ishrat Files

A one-man inquiry committee of Additional Secretary B K Prasad will probe the issue of missing files related to the case of alleged fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan, the government said Monday.

Published: 15th March 2016 06:01 AM  |   Last Updated: 15th March 2016 06:30 AM   |  A+A-

Ishrat

NEW DELHI:A one-man inquiry committee of Additional Secretary B K Prasad will probe the issue of missing files related to the case of alleged fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan, the government said Monday.

Prasad, Additional Secretary in the Home Ministry, will inquire into the circumstances in which the files related to the case of Ishrat Jahan, who was killed in an alleged fake encounter in Gujarat in 2004, went missing. The panel will find out the person responsible for keeping the files and relevant issues, a Home Ministry official said. The papers that went missing from the Home Ministry include the copy of an affidavit vetted by the Attorney General and submitted in the Gujarat High Court in 2009 and the draft of the second affidavit vetted by the AG on which changes were made.

Two letters written by the then Home Secretary G K Pillai to the then Attorney General late G E Vahanvati and the copy of the draft affidavit have so far been untraceable. Home Minister Rajnath Singh had disclosed in Parliament on March 10 that the files were missing.

Ishrat.jpgThe first affidavit was filed on the basis of inputs from Maharashtra and Gujarat Police besides the Intelligence Bureau where it was said that the 19-year-old girl from Mumbai outskirts was a Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist but reference to the same was deleted in the second affidavit. The second affidavit, drafted by the then Home Minister P Chidambaram, said there was no conclusive evidence to prove that Ishrat was a terrorist. Former Union Home Secretary G K Pillai had recently revealed that that as Home Minister, Chidambaram had recalled the file a month after the original affidavit, which described Ishrat and her slain aides as LeT operatives, was filed in the court. Pillai had said details on Ishrat’s LeT links were ‘changed’ at the political level.

Subsequently, Chidambaram admitted that changes were made in the affidavit but claimed Pillai was equally responsible for the same.

Last week, Rajnath Singh had accused the erstwhile UPA government of hatching a “deep conspiracy” to frame Modi when he was the Gujarat Chief Minister in the Ishrat Jahan case. Singh had said that the previous regime had done a ‘flip-flop’ on the links of Ishrat Jahan with terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp