STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Fire at Uttar Pradesh's BRD Hospital; principal's office gutted

A major fire broke out today at the state-run BRD Hospital, infamous for deaths of scores of children last year allegedly due to shortage of oxygen.

Published: 08th January 2018 12:14 PM  |   Last Updated: 08th January 2018 07:45 PM   |  A+A-

Fire broke out at principal office in Baba Raghav Das Medical College. (Photo | ANI)

Express News Service

LUCKNOW: Baba Raghav Das Medical College (BRDMC) of Gorakhpur has hit the headlines again when the principal’s office and adjacent record room caught fire around 10 am on Monday.

It took around an hour for six fire tenders to douse the inferno which had completely engulfed the record room where a number of important documents were feared gutted. Though the medical college authorities were tight-lipped over the issue with Principal Dr Ganesh Kumar on leave, Gorakhpur District Magistrate Rajiv Rautela had directed ADM City, Rajneesh Chandra to probe into the reason for such a huge fire and submit the report. Even police administration has also set up an inquiry committee headed by fire service in-charge to ascertain the reasons for the mishap.  It is the same hospital where 30 infants died due to lack
of oxygen supply in August, 2017. 

In the follow up of August incident, an FIR against nine accused persons including ex-principal Dr Rajiv Misra, his wife Dr Purnima Shukla and nodal officer Dr Kafeel Khan, was filed by UP Director General Medical Education (DGME), KK Gupta in Hazratganj police station Lucknow.

The case was subsequnelty, transferred to Gorakhpur for better probe and further proceedings. All the accused persons were zeroed in and the police administration had filed a chargesheet in the case as
well. According to sources, supplementary chargesheet in that case had to be was filed on January 11 based on documents.

Around 10 am on Monday, the employees of the medical college noticed fire in principal’s office and soon it spread to adjacent record room. On getting the information, the fire service department rushed
six fire tenders which took around one hour to control the fire. Surprisingly, the fire extinguish system in the principal office didn’t work. SP North, Ganesh Saha, who rushed to the spot, said:  “Prima facie it seems to be a case of short circuit but the actual reason will be revealed only after probe.”

However speaking on the condition of anonymity, a BRD Medical College employee said: “The fire destroyed a number of documents. Files related to oxygen disruption case were also kept in the principal’s
office which might have also destroyed.”

“We will soon come out with the reasons for inferno, however, the fire was controlled with an hour,” said chief fire service officer DK Singh.

More from Nation

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp