Left withdraws candidate in Charilam assembly poll due to violence in Tripura

The move comes after the poll authorities remained silent over the Left's request for postponement of the Charilam poll until normalcy returned.

Published: 10th March 2018 03:59 PM  |   Last Updated: 10th March 2018 05:48 PM   |  A+A-

The polling in 19-Charilam (ST) Assembly seat was deferred to March 12 following the death of CPI (M) candidate Ramendra Narayan Debbarma due to cardiac arrest while campaigning on February 11. | File Photo

By IANS

AGARTALA: On the last day of campaigning, the CPI-M-led Left Front on Saturday withdrew its candidate from the Charilam assembly constituency claiming "extremely terrible situation" in the tribal dominated areas of Tripura "due to massive reign of terror" by the BJP.

The move comes after the poll authorities "remained silent" over the Left's request for postponement of the Charilam poll "until normalcy returned".

Polling could not be held in Charilam on February 18 after the death of the Communist Party of India-Marxist candidate. It was scheduled to be held on March 12.

A CPI-M delegation led by party General Secretary Sitaram Yechury on Saturday visited many post-poll violence-hit areas in the state.

"The situation in Charilam assembly constituency is horrifically bad due to excessive reign of terror since the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) got the majority in the election on Saturday," Left Front convener Bijan Dhar told the media.

Flanked by the leaders of other Left parties, Dhar said: "The leaders of Left parties have apprised the Election Commission in Delhi and Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of the Charilam situation on March 8.  "Specific instances of all attacks both on party offices, houses of party members and physical assaults on over 20 party leaders and members along with photographs and videos have been submitted before the poll authorities."

Dhar, also the CPI-M central committee member and party's state secretary, said that party's delegation led by politburo member MA Baby had met the Chief Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat and other two Election Commissioners in Delhi on Thursday and requested them for postponement of election in Charilam till peace and normalcy was restored in the entire state.

Another delegation led by party's Central Committee member Gautam Das met CEO of Tripura Sriram Taranikanti and raised similar demand.

"Both the EC and the CEO had assured that after having ascertained all facts, a decision would be taken about postponement of poll in the violence-hit Charilam. Unfortunately, both the authorities have remained silent," the Left leader stated.

"Today (Saturday) is the last date of campaign in the Charilam areas. It would be a farce if election is to be held here on Monday."

"More than 11 permanent party offices and two district committee offices of CPI-M and RSP (Revolutionary Socialist Party) were burnt down, many trade union offices forcibly occupied by BJP-IPFT workers in Charilam area and CPI-M candidate Palash Debbarma fled from the area to save his life," Gautam Das told the media.

He said around 70 CPI-M leaders' houses were attacked and 20 party leaders physically assaulted by BJP-IPFT workers whereas all 40 election booth offices of CPI-M in Charilam were burnt down.

Tribal-based party Indigenous People's Front of Tripura (IPFT) is the electoral ally of BJP.

Das said several thousand Left Front members and workers had been forcibly evicted from Charilam segment.

Tripura's erstwhile royal family's scion Jishnu Debbarma, who was sworn-in as the Deputy Chief Minister of the new government on Friday, is the BJP nominee from Charilam.

"We urged the administration and the BJP leadership to take adequate measures to stop these post-poll violence immediately in the entire state," Dhar added.

Dhar said ever since the poll results were declared on March 3, around 400 Left offices and frontal organisations were attacked; 85 party offices burnt down; 315 offices were forcibly occupied, 1,704 houses belonging to Left members and supporters attacked and around 200 houses set on fire.

He claimed that 290 shops owned by Left members and supporters were burnt down, 10 rubber gardens destroyed, over 600 Left members and supporters assaulted badly, 10 vehicles damaged. This had forced thousands of persons to take refuge elsewhere in the state.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp