Coal scam: Court pulls up CBI for not providing documents to accused

Jindal is named as accused, along with former Minister of State for Coal Dasari Narayan Rao and former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda, in another case pertaining to alleged irregularities.

Published: 12th March 2018 02:31 PM  |   Last Updated: 12th March 2018 02:31 PM   |  A+A-

CBI headquarters (File photo | PTI)

By PTI

NEW DELHI: A special court today pulled up the CBI for not supplying documents to the accused in a coal scam case, involving industrialist Naveen Jindal, as directed by it in its last order.

Special judge Bharat Parashar adjourned the matter for scrutiny of documents to April 10 in the case pertaining to the allocation of the Urtan North Coal block in Madhya Pradesh.

"Comply with the direction of the court. Adjourned for scrutiny of documents on April 10, the judge said.

The court had on January 15 directed the CBI to hand over some documents filed, along with the charge sheet, to industrialist Naveen Jindal and others.

The court was hearing a matter pertaining to the allocation of Urtan North coal block in Madhya Pradesh where the offences of "cheating" and "criminal conspiracy" were "prima facie" made out against the accused.

Besides Jindal, the other accused in the case include Jindal Steel and Power Ltd's (JSPL) former Director Sushil Maroo, former Deputy MD Anand Goyal and CEO Vikrant Gujral.

Jindal is named as accused, along with former Minister of State for Coal Dasari Narayan Rao and former Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda, in another case pertaining to alleged irregularities in allocation of Amarkonda Murgadangal coal block in Jharkhand.

According to the CBI charge sheet in this case, the accused had misrepresented facts in its January 2007 application before the Screening Committee, responsible for recommending coal block allocation, for obtaining the Madhya Pradesh coal block and hence cheated the Coal Ministry to get wrongful gains.

The ministry had issued the allocation letter to the firm in October 2009.

The probe agency has named 64 persons as prosecution witnesses to prove its case besides annexing 60 documents in its charge sheet.

The charge sheet has said that in the feedback form, the firm misrepresented or made false claims on two counts -- that it had already acquired 964 acres of land for its Jharkhand- based Patratu project and that it had placed orders for equipment for its Odisha-based Angul project for Rs 4,340 crore.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp