Nirbhaya case: Convicts' bodies handed over to families for last rites

The four convicts were hanged to death on Friday for the rape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedicial student in a moving bus in December 2012.

Published: 21st March 2020 01:26 AM  |   Last Updated: 21st March 2020 01:26 AM   |  A+A-

Ambulances carrying the bodies of four men executed at Tihar Jail who were convicted in the Nirbhaya rape and murder case as they are brought for postmortem at the DDU hospital in New Delhi Friday March 20 2020. (Photo | PTI)


NEW DELHI: Bodies of the four Nirbhaya gang rape and murder convicts were handed over to their respective families for last rites on Friday after the post-mortem was conducted at the Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital here, jail officials said.

Mukesh Singh (32), Pawan Gupta (25), Vinay Sharma (26) and Akshay Kumar Singh (31) were executed Friday at 5.30 am for the savage assault in a moving bus on a 23-year-old paramedical student who came to be known the world over as Nirbhaya, the fearless one.

Jail officials said the bodies were kept hanging for half an hour, a mandatory procedure after execution as per the prison manual.

"After the doctor examined the bodies and declared all four dead, they were sent to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital for the post-mortem. Later, their bodies were handed over to their families," Director General of Tihar Jail Sandeep Goel said.

According to a senior jail official, Akshay's body was taken to his village at Aurangabad in Bihar.

"The family members of Mukesh took his body to Rajasthan. The bodies of Vinay and Pawan were taken to their houses at Ravidas Camp in south Delhi," they said.

Earlier, their family members had rushed to DDU hospital for the necessary paper work before conducting the post-mortem.

There were elaborate security arrangements at the hospital, especially near the mortuary.

No person, except the hospital staff and the relatives of convicts, was allowed near the mortuary.

This is the first time that four convicts have been hanged together in Tihar Jail, South Asia's largest prison complex that houses more than 16,000 inmates.

After raping and brutalising Nirbhaya, the men, one of whom was a juvenile at the time, dumped her on the road and left her for dead on the cold winter night.

Her male friend who was with her was also severely beaten and thrown out along with her.

She was so severely assaulted that doctors who attended to her in hospital described her injuries as unprecedented.

She died in a Singapore hospital after battling for her life for a fortnight.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp