Migrant ends life after parents asked him to go in quarantine in Jharkhand

Gaud said soon after that, Mukesh, who worked at the Sholapur Steel Plant as a daily-wage labourer, left home without saying anything.

Published: 13th May 2020 08:35 AM  |   Last Updated: 13th May 2020 08:35 AM   |  A+A-

Migrants board a truck as they leave for their native villages in Prayagraj | pti

By Express News Service

RANCHI: A 19-year-old migrant worker, who had returned from Maharashtra’s Sholapur, committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree near his village in Jharkhand’s Bhanwri on Tuesday after his parents asked him to go on a quarantine facility.    

Soon after Mukesh Kumar reached home earlier in the day, his parents insisted him to stay at the quarantine centre, set up about 2 kilometres away from the village, the police said.

“My son returned home by hitch-hiking from Sholapur on along with a friend. My wife had asked him to take a shower and leave for the quarantine centre for a few days, abiding by the government guidelines for migrants,” Mukesh’s father, Narayan Gaud, said.

Gaud said soon after that, Mukesh, who worked at the Sholapur Steel Plant as a daily-wage labourer, left home without saying anything.

“After a while when my wife could not find him around, she went out looking for him and saw him hanging from a tree near our house,” said the father.

A case of unnatural death (UD) has been registered at Ranka Police Station in the matter. An investigation is underway, said the police.

“The incident took place at Haatdohar village. Prima facie it appears to be a case of suicide, but the investigations are still on,” said officer-in-charge of Ranka Police Station Sudhanshu Kumar, he added.
‘More special trains required for migrants’

Jharkhand Finance Minister Rameshwar Oraon on Tuesday said more special trains were required to ferry migrant workers from faraway states as it was difficult to transport the stranded labourers in buses.

2 CRPF personnel commit suicide fearing infection
In separate cases, a CRPF sub inspector and an ASI posted in Kashmir have committed suicide over fears that they may be infected by coronavirus. A CRPF officer, however, said sub inspector Fatah Singh, a resident of Rajasthan’s Jaisalmer, has tested negative for the virus. Singh, with 96 bn CRPF, committed suicide inside the camp at Akura in Anantnag district on Monday after shooting himself. In a similar case, ASI Bengali Babu, posted in Karan Nagar area of Srinagar, ended his life on Tuesday. The CRPF personnel was a resident of Madhya Pradesh’s Gwalior.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp