STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

I-League aspirants told to bid once more

Uncertainty continues to plague the upcoming edition of the I-League, with no clarity as yet over who will be the participating teams.

Published: 19th August 2017 09:23 AM  |   Last Updated: 19th August 2017 09:41 AM   |  A+A-

I-League CEO Sunando Dhar

I-League CEO Sunando Dhar said that the decision to call for fresh bids had been made after all three teams expressed confidence that they would be able to come up with improved proposals. (Twitter | Hero I-League)

By Express News Service

CHENNAI: Uncertainty continues to plague the upcoming edition of the I-League, with no clarity as yet over who will be the participating teams. On Friday, a meeting of the bid evaluation committee rejected bids by all three parties interested in fielding new teams in the 2017-18 season.

The three bidders — Gokulam FC from Kerala, Ozone FC from Bengaluru and Crown Sports from Rajasthan — have been asked to re-submit their bids and given 10 days to do so. “It was informed to the house by the representatives of PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) that none of the bidders could meet the requirements. Hence, the committee decided to call a retender for inclusion of corporate teams in the ensuing Hero I-League season,” a release issued by the All India Football Federation said.

I-League CEO Sunando Dhar told Express that the decision to call for fresh bids had been made after all three teams expressed confidence that they would be able to come up with improved proposals. “The bids were lacking in certain aspects and they were missing certain documents. But all three parties who bid wanted time to improve their bids.

However, there is no provision to do that. So we called for a fresh bidding process and all three have expressed confidence that they can meet all the criteria. Others are also free to bid. Last year also, the same thing had happened,” he said. The bid evaluation committee will meet in the second week on September to take a call on the fresh bids.

Mumbai return unlikely

Dhar also shed light on the fate of Mumbai FC, who had been relegated from the I-League last year. Mumbai had shot off a letter to AIFF president Praful Patel that they too be reinstated like Aizawl FC was last year, as the league had lost a couple of teams in Bengaluru FC and DSK Shivajians.  “The president received the letter and right now the federation’s stand is that we cannot reinstate relegated teams ever year.”

Stay up to date on all the latest Football news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp