CHENNAI: SSP Chawrasia is hoping that justice delayed is not justice denied. After six months of wait for the sum assured for Rio Olympic participants, the golfer has recently been asked by the sports ministry to submit fresh claims. It comes after repeated pleas, the first of which was reported by Express in August, 2016.
Following a ministry policy for Rio 2016, all participants had been assured assistance for training, hiring coaches, buying equipment etc. For Chawrasia, it was `30 lakh and he had submitted a claim for Rs 28.5 lakh before the Olympics. A cheque for `5 lakh is what he has got till date. Anirban Lahiri, the other golfer, has also complained of not receiving the promised sum.
“Because I’m away playing most of the time, I authorised a friend to meet ministry officials in Delhi. Before the start of the Indian Open, they gave a fresh set of papers and forms. I have submitted those papers and officials have assured that the fund will be released,” Chawrasia said on Friday. The Indian Open got over in New Delhi on March 12, where Chawrasia defended his title.
A regular on the European Tour after winning last year’s Indian Open, the Kolkata pro isn’t as hard pressed as some other athletes might have been on not receiving the grant. To follow his own calendar, he would have been abroad. He was going to spend from pocket anyway. So effectively, what he hasn’t got is reimbursement.
“However, there is something called a launch monitor (computerised device to measure various aspects when a golf ball is struck), which I would have bought had I received the money. Maybe after I get it, I’ll again start thinking of buying one. I’ve been told that the process might take a bit of time,” said Chawrasia.