Fire at the premises of a petrol bunker of Indian Oil Corporation sparked off panic in the agency area of Araku Valley in the Vizag district today.
But it was doused in time by the police and the locals.
Generator room in the premises, where the fire started, was completely gutted. Police believe short circuit to be the reason.
As the staff ran away fearing explosion, residents in the nearby areas too panicked and left homes.
Inspector K Kumara Swamy said a major mishap was averted, as the bunker was only 30 mt from the generator room.