VIJAYAWADA: After deciding to set up the new capital of Andhra Pradesh near Vijayawada, Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu is burning midnight oil to finalise several key issues relating to the capital, such as design of the city, water needs and acquiring lands, apart from working out the contours of the new capital. The Chief Minister has been going through various designs for the capital in an innovative way, while holding discussions with various international consultants over this. As a part of this exercise, Naidu on Monday held confabulations with a Singapore delegation
Naidu’s Grand Plans
- While constructing the capital, Naidu wants to borrow from the best models from various cities across the world.
- He wants to build the capital similar to London, which spreads on either side of River Thames. Akin to London, Naidu is thinking of constructing the capital on both the sides of River Krishna.
- He is said to be planning to construct “ultra-modern” bridges across River Krishna at Amaravati to join Guntur district with Krishna district. By doing so, he wants to promote tourism in the capital.
- At the same time, the CM wants to construct the administrative blocks on Chicago model. He wants to have a 44-storey skyscraper for government offices. By constructing a tall building, the AP CM wants to ease the pressure on land at Vijayawada, where all lands are fertile.
Yanamala Panel to Acquire Lands
- Newly constituted ministerial panel on land pooling will tour Krishna and Guntur districts from next week in order to identify the required land for the new capital.
- During their visit, members of the panel will interact with farmers so as to know their views on land acquisition as the government wants to acquire land through “land pooling” system.
Narayana Committee on Design
- The nine-member advisory panel on the construction of the capital, headed by Municipal Administration Minister P Narayana, will soon tour some identified planned cities in the country and across the world.
- First, the committee, along with other officials and experts, will visit four cities--Chandigarh, Naya Raipur, Navi Mumbai and Gandhinagar--in India.
- After that, it would tour six more planned cities in other countries. They are: Singapore, Putrajaya (Malyasia), Islamabad (Pakistan), Brasilia (Brazil), Dubai (UAE) and Canberra (Australia).
- During their visit to the respective cities, the panel will study both positive and negative aspects of the design of those cities to prepare a suitable design for the new capital.
New Barrage on Krishna
The State government is understood to be contemplating constructing another barrage across River Krishna between Pulichinthala Reservoir and Prakasam Barrage to cater to the water needs of the new capital city. The government is planning to construct the barrage near Amaravathi.
Singapore Offers Help to AP
The government of Singapore will work with the government of AP in infrastructure, industrial and urban development. A delegation led by former prime minister of Singapore Goh Chok Tong called on chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu here Monday and offered Singapore government’s support to AP government in this regard. The delegation offered to share their experience in the design of the new capital and ensured that it would encourage Singapore-based companies to participate in seaport, airport and tourism projects.
BEST OF BOTH SIDES
The government is planning to build the new capital city on either side of River Krishna spreading across Guntur and Krishna districts. It has almost zeroed in on Mangalagiri, Tadikonda and Tulluru mandals in Guntur district and Gollapudi, Kanchikacharla, Paritala and Ibrahimpatnam mandals in Krishna district to acquire lands for this.
THREE DAYS IN VIJayawada
The buzz in TDP circles is that Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has begun focusing his attention on shifting his base from Hyderabad to Vijayawada as he wants to discharge his duties from the city at least for three days in a week. For this, Naidu is learnt to be considering two houses in Vijayawada to set up his residence. “One house is located at Bharathinagar and another one at Tadigadapa. But, Naidu has not yet finalised any house,” said source.
GOOD DEAL FOR RYOTS
Sports minister K Atchannaidu, who is a member of Cabinet sub-committee on land pooling, told Express that the State government is planning to give a better offer to the farmers who come forward to give lands for the capital. “We will visit Vijayawada next week to know the mood of the local farmers,” he said.
Tributes to NTR
- The TDP government, by deciding to locate the new capital at Vijayawada in Krishna district, the native district of NT Rama Rao, is said to have paid tributes to the party founder.
- Now, the government is contemplating naming the capital after NTR. There are proposals to install NTR statue in the Krishna River near the capital.