Woman Burnt Alive in Fire Mishap

Published: 04th February 2016 05:54 AM  |   Last Updated: 04th February 2016 05:54 AM   |  A+A-


VIJAYAWADA: An elderly woman was burnt alive and three others were injured when a fire engulfed several houses close to Flower Market near Municipal Corporation office here on Wednesday.

According to sources, the deceased has been identified as Rama Devi who tried to escape the fire but since she was aged, she could not move in time and was burnt alive. It is suspected that a gas leak in a house had led to the fire in a house which soon spread to the entire colony. About 150 houses were gutted.

Police sources said that the fire broke out in the afternoon when the colony residents were out for work and as a result could not stop the fire when it was in the initial stages. Consequently, cash and household items were also burnt in the fire.

Three fire tenders battled the flames for a long time before they could bring them under control. Municipal Administration Minister P Narayana visited the mishap site and consoled the residents and assured them of all possible assistance.

Stay up to date on all the latest Andhra Pradesh news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp