Warden sets teen ablaze for refusing to scavenge toilets in orphanage

Warden says boy immolated self as he was depressed after being scolded by his grandmom

Published: 31st January 2017 05:23 AM  |   Last Updated: 31st January 2017 05:23 AM   |  A+A-

By Express News Service

VIJAYAWADA: Vempati Praveen, a 14-year-old, is battling for life with 70 per cent burns at Government General Hospital of Vijayawada. He was allegedly set on fire by Katuri Venkateswara Rao, warden of Mother Theresa orphanage on Republic Day in Marepalli in A Konduru mandal near Vijayawada.
Praveen, from hospital bed, said that he was set on fire by the warden.

The accused reportedly was angry and went out of control when Praveen refused to obey his orders of doing scavenging works at the orphanage. In a fit of rage, Venkateswar allegedly poured petrol on Praveen and set him on fire.

“He set me ablaze. I cried asking him to save me as flames were rising all around. He then threatened that he would not save me unless I give a declaration that I attempted suicide,” Praveen said.
According to Aduri Manith, Praveen’s cousin who also lives at the orphanage, the warden poured petrol on Praveen and set him on fire around 4 pm.

“Later, the warden, two other inmates and I shifted Praveen to a local clinic in an auto rickshaw but the doctor was not available. Then we shifted him to Konduru hospital through 108 ambulance. Then they brought Praveen to Vijayawada General Hospital at about 10 the same night. The warden instructed Praveen to give a statement that he attempted self-immolation. Praveen accordingly did it out of fear when a magistrate recorded his statement at the hospital,” Manith told Express.

According to Deputy Superintendent of Police, Nuzvid, T S V Ramana, based on the Vijayawada police and magistrate’s statement, the police came to the conclusion that the boy set himself on fire. But, Kondur police are recording the statements of remaining students.
“We will initiate action against the warden if found guilty,” said the police.

However, the warden told Express that he did not pour petrol on the boy and that he himself attempted suicide as he was depressed after his grandmother pulled him up for continuing to steal pens and mobile phones.
“I was with remaining children when the incident took place. The boy set himself on fire in the verandah. I take care of the children like my own,” Venkateswar Rao said.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp