GUNTUR: A timber depot at Varavakatta in Narasaraopet was reduced to ashes after a fire broke out here on Tuesday. Flames also spread to a nearby house, which got heavily damaged.
A short circuit at the Satyanarayana Timber Depot was said to be the reason for the fire. Four fire tenders were pressed into service after locals informed the officials concerned.
D Sambasiva Rao, owner of the depot, said timbers worth Rs 2 crore were heavily damaged in the mishap.
The police and revenue officials were informed about it for further action. Owner of the house was identified as Sk Kadar Mastan Vali. YSRC MLA G Srinivasa Reddy and Assembly Speaker K Siva Prasad Rao donated Rs 10,000 each to him.