Toxic gas leak: Andhra Pradesh orders closure of Seeds company after 121 women fall sick

Two months ago a similar incident happened at the same plant. Again, similar symptoms were reported among workers.

Published: 03rd August 2022 01:11 PM  |   Last Updated: 03rd August 2022 04:47 PM   |  A+A-

Minister for industries Gudivada Amarnath interacting with gas leak victims at NTR area hospital at Anakapalle on Wednesday.

Minister for industries Gudivada Amarnath interacting with gas leak victims at NTR area hospital at Anakapalle on Wednesday.

By Express News Service

VISAKHAPATNAM: The state government has ordered the closure of the Seeds company at Brandix SEZ in Anakapalle district where as many as 121 women fell sick after they were exposed to toxic gases on Tuesday night.  The company has been asked to close till further orders.

Minister for industries Gudivada Amarnath visited the NTR area hospital at Anakapalle on Wednesday where women workers were undergoing treatment. He enquired from the DMHO Hemanth and hospital superintendent Sravan Kumar about the condition of the workers.

Later speaking to media persons, he said in the Seeds company between 6.45 pm and 7.30 pm on Tuesday 121 women workers experienced vomiting and nausea.

Two months ago a similar incident happened at the same plant. Again, similar symptoms were reported among workers. They were immediately shifted to five hospitals at Anakapalle. The government had then set up a joint committee to ascertain the cause. It was suspected that leakage of air conditioning gas was the cause.

As per doctors, the condition of all 121 workers was now stable. "It was unfortunate that such an incident happened for the second time," said Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy.

He took a serious note of the incident and ordered the closure of the plant till facts are ascertained. "The company will be responsible for the incident," he added.

The affected women said they smelt a burning sensation while they went to the canteen. Immediately they experienced vomiting, irritation in the eyes and also nausea. 

They said they were immediately rushed back to the plant from the canteen, where some of them fell unconscious and the management shifted them to hospitals.

(With online desk inputs)



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp