A girl died and another has been hospitalised after they consumed poison in Yerapothanahalli of Gouribidanur Taluk in Chikballapur district.
According to sources, the girls were cousins studying in Class X in a government school in Gouribidanur. They stayed in a hostel.
Three months ago they returned from hostel and refused to attend classes saying the school is far away from the village. The girls took this extreme step after their parents reportedly asked them to continue education.
According to sources, on Thursday they returned from school and told their parents they would be studying on the first floor of their neighbour’s house.
Around 7 pm both of them came down and appeared dizzy. Although they were rushed to hospital, one of them died. The other girl is undergoing treatment in a hospital in Bangalore.
Gouribidanur police have registered a case.