BENGALURU: The Energy Department has decided to get tough on unauthorised constructions and it will now be mandatory for residents to furnish the building plan sanction and occupancy certificate from the respective city civic agencies to get power connection to their houses.
This condition will not be applicable to housing units with a dimension of up to 8,000 sqft and a maximum height of 50 feet, Energy Minister D K Shivakumar said on Monday after chairing a meeting with Energy officials. The rule will be implemented in accordance with a circular issued by
the Urban Development Department and will apply to housing structures across the state.
The circular was issued in the light of thousands of apartment blocks and houses obtaining water, sewage and power connections in Bengaluru and other cities without occupancy certificates or getting their housing plans sanctioned.
Shivakumar said, “We have been forced to tighten the rules as the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB) is finding it difficult to provide water and sewage connection to everyone with the unbridled construction of buildings.”
The buildings that have been built in the recent past had been asked to register themselves for regularisation with a penalty by December 31, 2014. But the government is contemplating extending the deadline following pleas from builders and owners, the minister said. However, even after regularisation, these owners will have to shell out a 25 per cent penalty on the energy tariff.
Meanwhile, those who are yet to get an occupancy certificate can get a temporary power connection, which will be made permanent after the OC is furnished, Shivakumar said.
The Urban Development Department has instructed the commissioners of BBMP and BDA not to issue no objection certificates (NoC) and OCs for structures that have violated building bylaws.