NIA personnel, Kerala police in Mysuru to probe court blast

Published: 03rd August 2016 06:02 AM  |   Last Updated: 03rd August 2016 06:02 AM   |  A+A-

NIA

MYSURU: A day after an explosion rocked the Law Courts premises, teams from the National Investigating Agency (NIA) and Kerala police visited the city on Tuesday and held separate inspections.

The NIA tried to find out whether there is any similarity between the Mysuru blast and other blasts that have taken place in the country while the Kerala team compared it with the blast that took place in a court complex in Kollam.

A five-member Kollam police team led by Special Branch ACP Rex Bobby Aravin visited the blast site in the afternoon and gathered information for about half an hour. An explosion had taken place in a parked jeep outside the court complex in Kollam on June 15.

Earlier in the day, Internal Security Division (ISD) DGP Neelamani Raju visited the blast site and took stock of the situation.

The officer inspected the toilet where the blast occurred and surrounding areas for over half an hour.  The area where the blast took place was cordoned off and a bomb detection and disposal squad conducted another round of screening in the morning.

Meanwhile, the security at entrance and exits of the court was tightened. Police screened people with metal detectors and hand held machines.

Advocates abstain

from proceedings

Advocates abstained from the court proceedings on Tuesday and staged a protest against lack of security on the court premises.    In a meeting of the Bar Association, the advocates decided to demand authorities to beef up the security and install CCTV cameras and metal detectors on the court premises. They also decided not to allow litigants inside the Bar Association office and make photo identity cards mandatory to enter the court premises.

Srikrishna, general secretary Mysuru Bar Association, said a proposal for installation of CCTVs was sent to the High Court a year ago but there has been no progress on it.

In the wake of unauthorised people entering the court premises by crossing over a five-ft compound wall behind the court, they had proposed for installation of CCTVs. Subsequently, the height of the compound wall was raised to 10 ft.

Terrorists’ case shifted to Jammu & Kashmir

Srikrishna said there are no cases of terrorists pending in Mysuru court after the one related to Pakistani terrorists Mohammed Ali Hussain and Mohammed Fahad were shifted to Jammu and Kashmir court in order to club it with other cases pending against them there.

 Both were arrested following an encounter with the police near Vijayanagar on the Outer Ring Road in the city in October 2006.

Stay up to date on all the latest Karnataka news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp