KOLAR: Diphtheria, a bacterial infection, has claimed the life of a six-year-old boy in Vatragunte village in Karnataka's Kolar district.This was the second death caused by the infection, claimed the villagers.
According to Dr Kamalkar, Bangarpet taluk health officer, Sakiria (6) had fever for three days. He was shifted to R L Jalappa hospital in Kolar where he was treated for diphtheria, but without any response. He was later shifted to Indira Gandhi Hospital for Child Health, where the child died on Wednesday morning.
Residents of Vatragunte claimed Zukthur (11) also died of the same symptoms, but the health department did not confirm and said they were collecting Zukthur's medical reports.
Following Saikiria's death from dipthteria, seven doctors have been deputed to the village, said Kolar deputy commissioner on Wednesday. The team of doctors have commenced vaccination and also collected throat swabs of five children suffering from fever for the last two days.
Thrilok said the samples have been sent to Bangalore Medical College and added that he would speak to the director to run the test quickly as it would take two to three days to complete. The team of doctors would continue camping in the village for another few days to bring confidence among the villagers, he said.
Diphtheria is a bacterial infection, which is contagious and affects people of all ages, but children and those above 60 years are particularly vulnerable.