STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Japan funding for Cauvery water supply project to be finalised by month-end

JICA wanted the project to be named as Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Project-Phase 3 (1) to track it better.

Published: 06th January 2018 03:22 AM  |   Last Updated: 06th January 2018 08:21 AM   |  A+A-

15 per cent share of the project will be shared by the Government of Karnataka and BWSSB

Express News Service

BENGALURU: The final step before the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) okays funding for the Rs 5,550-crore loan for the Cauvery Water Supply Scheme (CWSS) Stage 5 is set to be taken in New Delhi in a fortnight.

On January 4, the Ministry of Finance informed the State Urban Development Department and the Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board (BWSSB) that a ceremony to mark the signing of ‘Exchange of Notes’ for the Overseas Development Assistance loan will be held on January 24, according to official sources.  This Stage 5 project will supply water to 110 villages spread across 225 sqkm of the city in five zones -- Mahadevapura, Bommanahalli, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Dasarahalli and Byatarayanapura.

A top official said, “This marks a culmination of 1.5 years of efforts undertaken by the Water Board to ensure we get this loan. Detailed documents will be exchanged. The final agreement will be signed between the Prime Ministers of India and Japan sometime after that.”

The agreement has effected a change in nomenclature of the project, said an official. “JICA wanted the project to be named as Bengaluru Water Supply and Sewerage Project-Phase 3 (1) to track it better and the BWSSB is okay with it,” he said.

Asked about the specific amount that JICA would provide, a top official said, “As is the norm in all funding projects, it will be 85 per cent of the cost of the project. The remaining 15 per cent will be shared by the Government of Karnataka and BWSSB.”

The ‘soft loans’ with very low interest provided by Japan have been a tremendous financial support to the BWSSB. “It has helped the BWSSB with Rs 1,200 crore during the First Phase of Stage 4 of the Cauvery Water Supply project (1996-2006) and with Rs 3,384 crore during the Second Phase of Stage 4,” he said. Officials refused to disclose the interest rate of repayment saying it was confidential at this stage.

After being cleared by the Karnataka Cabinet, the project was cleared by the Central Public Health and Environmental Engineering Organisation, the Ministry of Urban Development, the Department of Economic Affairs, the Finance Department and then sent to JICA. Urban Development Minister K J George recently said that 17 out of these 110 villages would be provided drinking water by January end.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp